CHICAGO—From its earliest days, Union Health Service, Inc. has successful initiatives to improve medical practice. In 1965, UHS moved from its original Chicago site at 111 North Wabash to a new dedicated 51,000 square foot facility located at the Illinois Medical District (Ashland and Polk).
Neighborhood Center facilities were eventually added and today, UHS operates four centers in the City and near suburbs that include 2800 West 87th Street (California), 4701 North Cumberland Avenue in Norridge, 610 South Maple Ave. in Oak Park, and 3535 East New York Street in Aurora, IL.
To increase specialty and primary care services, UHS expanded its 87th Street Center office, which serves, approximately 15,000 patients annually, early this year. The renovation of current space and the addition of new offices increase the facility’s square footage from 4,000 to 6,000. Improvements were made to the waiting room, technical areas, and the facility now has 14 exam rooms. Two primary care physicians have been added and new specialty services include cardiology, endocrinology, nephrology, and optometry.
"This is an exciting milestone in the history of Union Health Service," said W. Joe Garrett, Executive Director of UHS. "New developments are constantly occurring, allowing us to combine the skills of our staff with state-of-the-art facilities to provide high quality outpatient medical care. With our electronic medical records system and with the additional space, we now have greater to ability to coordinate the care offered by our entire medical team."
Founded in 1955, UHS was organized by the Service International Employees Union to provide managed care services through its own medical staff to union members. Today UHS operates five clinical facilities serving 47,000 residents in the metropolitan area.